Thursday, March 6, 2008

Is This What We Need to Be Watching?

So the TLC network is now airing a show called "The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom". The premise is that stay-at-home moms would have the chance to try the career they left behind. The whole thing seems demeaning to me. Like that these women obviously made the wrong choice and are now being given the opportunity to right their wrongs by joining the workforce. I have to admit I haven't seen the show - so maybe its more of an opportunity for the moms - I sure hope so. But something about it stinks to me. Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

6 comments:

Julie said...

Haven't see it but it's hosted by the girl from Growing Pains who had the eating disorder? Tracy Gold or something like that. I saw an interview with her - she's thinks it's fabulous!

Mrs. Booms said...

Well you know my thoughts on it and if anyone is thinking of watching it, send them my way and I'll set them straight.

It was horrific and disgusting.

Misty said...

am i horrible? I think reality tv in general stinks...

Happy Working Mom said...

I haven't watched it yet (DVRd it), but I have to admit I am dying to watch it. From the outside, it just sounds like a really cool opportunity for women to see what would have happened. We all made a choice...if someone asked me if I wanted to do a week show about being a stay at home mom to see what would have happened if I made the other choice, I'd be all over it! I wouldn't be offended because I know I'm doing what's best for my family...it would just be fun!

But again, I haven't actually watched the show yet...

Karen MEG said...

I haven't watched it, just heard of it. Something about it doesn't sit right with me either. It just seems to be catching and inflaming that whole "mommy war". We all make choices once we're parents right? I'm sure there are so many women who have their own internal struggles with their decisions, without needing society to jump on their back about it too.
They'll make a show out of anything these days.

Bloghoppin'

Amy W said...

So I watched the one where the mom was a fashion designer and then she was offered a job and had to decide. I thought it didn't paint working moms very well, like they had to chose between working and being a mom when you can do both.