Thursday, March 19, 2009

Favorite Children's Books

My kids LOVE reading. Well, they love listening. K loves reading. They all love listening. So after the big book sort last week I am happy to report we have been reading some new books. And of course the big book dump (we donated MULTIPLE big bags of books away) has not stopped Mama's habit of buying books. In fact, within 24 hours we had several new kids books in the house (hee hee). One of them was an INSTANT favorite. It is the new Piggie and Gerald book called "Watch Me Throw the Ball". If you are not familiar with Piggie and Gerald you are MISSING OUT! They are the newest creations from Mo Willems, an amazing kids book author who has also written "Knuffle Bunny" and "Leonardo, the Terrible Monster" and of course, the Pigeon of "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" etal. Mo used to be an illustrator on Sesame Street and totally knows his stuff. Watch Me Throw the Ball is hysterical. The kids were literally rolling on the floor. I highly recommend it.

Other favorites of my kids - Skippy John Jones, Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious, and of course, Junie B Jones and the Magic Treehouse.

What books do your kids like? (we could always use some more!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Leo the Lop as a kid. It's been reprinted and is pretty cheap. Although I think the original my mom has cost like seventy-nine cents. It's not quite that cheap anymore.
I also liked hte gillygoofang, but its $$$ because its not in print

Unknown said...

Hey one of my favorite bloggers for kids books is http://www.motherreader.com/
You can great ideas there. My kids love to read and be read to. Some of the Books my kids love besides Mo Willems are any of the kids books by Kevin Henkes ( like the Lily books); and G Is for One Gzonk!: An Alpha-number-bet Book by Tony DiTerlizzi; and Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin O'Malley; and My Truck is Stuck by Kevin Lewis; 10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann (and her other books); and Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin (and her other books)and although I could list many more, An Undone Fairy Tale by Ian Lendler and Whitney Martin is a book my kids laugh and laugh about. Enjoy!