Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Birds and the Bees

So we have yet to have "the talk" with any of the kids. K just turned 7. B is nearly 5 and Big Man is 2 1/2. I am not opposed to giving them information - but they haven't asked. A friend of mine just sat her nearly 7 year old down and told her the basics about sex. I don't feel like I need to do that yet. If K asked, I would tell her, but she hasn't.

Along the same lines, one of the families brought up the idea that this summer on our beach vacation (7 families - 13 kids under the age of 9), we should separate the kids rooms by boy/girl. Average age of the kids is about 6. We had the discussion, and decided it would make too big a thing of it to do it this year, so we are going to wait until next year. Frankly, I couldn't figure a way to tell the kids why we were doing it that didn't give them curiosity they don't currently have.

Am I totally naive? Like I said, if K asked, I would tell her at this point. But she hasn't. Do I need to sit her down and tell her? I was thinking I could wait a year or so. Thoughts?

2 comments:

jill said...

do you know anyone pregnant or with a baby? you could tellthem theres a baby in there, do you have any questions about babies? simple enough. eventually someone with an older sibling in junior high will tell younger sibling..so you might want to be ahead of the curve and say, hey you might hear some stuff and if you want to ask questions, that's fine, i want you to know the truth.

Amy W said...

I have yet to have a serious conversation about this with my 9 y.o.! Eeek. I guess I should get on that.... Wish I had some advice for you.

FYI: I came over from Bloghoppers at BusyDadBlog! :)