Thursday, January 24, 2008

I must be in an alternate universe

I recently had the best customer service experience EVER! After all the Verizon crap, I was getting used to bad service and then - wham, I go to the DMV. Yes, the Department of Motor Vehicles. And it was awesome.

I had to renew my driver's licence and had to go in person to get the vision test. So, I looked online - VA has this cool thing were you can see waiting times at several local DMVs in real time - and saw mine had a less than 3 minute wait, so I hustled out the door and drove over there. I walked in, got my number and before I could even sit down, was called. I did the vision test, paid my $20, and they told me to go across the room to sit and wait for my picture. I did, pulled out my blackberry, and before I had typed more than 2 words, was called to take my pic. Then I sat down to wait, and again, 2 minutes later - they hand me my new license. I swear I was in the place for about 7 minutes total. AMAZING.

I am going to write a letter to the state and thank them. unbelievable.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real-time wait thing sounds very cool. I didn't know they had that! I am always impressed with how much the VA DMV lets you do online. Ours even has a drive-thru window if you are turning in license plates.

ChrisB said...

That sounds very impressive!

Jill said...

wow. that is awesome. we have had a totaly of one good experience at a dmv. usually its a pain in the ass, takes too long and you have to pee long before you get out of there. whew. makes my bladder cramp just thinking about it...

Misty said...

We had an amazing Bill collector experience the other day. We sat there, stunned silent... Maybe in over all customer service, our tides are turning?

Edie said...

WOW, NC could learn a thing or two from VA... it takes us FOR-FREAKIN-EVER at our DMVS. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm adding a stop to my next vacation. Nothing like a little service to put a smile on your face... even if it is just the DMV.