Monday, October 5, 2009

You Must Read This Book

I recently read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. This book is soooo good. It is a novel set in the 1960s in Mississippi. It tells the story of a young white woman who decides to write a book about the experiences of black maids/nannies in her community. It is so great and so poignant - a friend of mine who read it said she had to keep putting it down because she was scared for the characters. We have not before had a such a great voice for black women during the civil rights movement and all the work they were doing to keep their families together and fed, and clothed, and housed. And what they had to deal with at work and at home and in their communities. It is a fabulous book and I can not rate it more highly. I strongly recommend you read it. What is really amazing is that it is a debut novel. I cannot wait to read the next thing she writes!!!

They have already sold the rights and it will be made into a film.

3 comments:

Amy W said...

This is one of the choices for our next book club meeting!

Stephanie said...

I have been mentioned twice in your blog now! I rock!

Jill said...

I put myself on the waiting list. Hopefully it'll come up soon. I don't mind reading cheap romances, but I like something with grit every now and then, too.