Thursday, January 31, 2013

Self-Esteem Builders

A few weeks ago we did a great activity with my girl scout troop of 3-5 graders (Brownies and Juniors).  It was part of a lesson about the role of girls in the world, and I think could be a great self-esteem booster for these little women.

 Basically, we spent part of the meeting talking about adjectives that you use to describe people.  We wrote up some lists of words and went over whether they were positive or negative, and what they said about a person. After that discussion, we gave each girl a list of everyone in the troop, and asked the girls to pick one word to describe everyone on the list.  Then we collected them, and put them together on a large piece of paper with each girl's name on it.  At the end of the meeting, we presented each girl with a large sheet of paper with all their adjectives on it.




My daughter B really got it.  She wanted hers hanging on her room across from her bed.  She told me she wanted to be able to see it in case she was feeling bad, she could look at it and remember all the good things about herself. So I matted it and framed it and hung it up.  I plan to do the same with K's as well.  It was a fun activity, and I hope the girls remember it. 

No comments: