Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Let Cami Run For President in 2040!

So there has been all this hullabaloo for a few years over what is known as the "Schwarzenegger Amendment" to the Constitution. Currently, Article II, Section 5, clause 5 of our Constitution reads:
"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."


This means that people who immigrate to this country and become citizens, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, can't be President. Now I have never had a real opinion on this issue. I guess I never thought much about it. Not being a big Arnie fan, it didn't do much for me. But just recently I was reading an article about foreign adoptions and within it there was a comment that foreign-adoptees can never be President, due to this clause in the Constitution. Well, that made me stop and think. And that is ridiculous. Then I thought about it some more and realized, that while my friend's daughter, Camille, adopted from China at 14 months couldn't be President; the child born of two illegals living here could be President. There is something horribly wrong with that. I don't want to get into the whole immigration debate, because I have awfully mixed feelings about it. But realizing that foreign adoptees aren't eligible to be President really ignited my fire about this Constitutional amendment.

I am writing my members of Congress today to push for this legislation TODAY. If Cami decides she wants to be President in 2040, she should be able to run!

No comments: