Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mars is Not Quite Far Enough Away

So one day last week I was having coffee with some colleagues. The two men were single -- one in his mid-20s, and one in his early 30s. The one in his twenties was saying that he had been dating his girlfriend for 3 1/2 years, and was thinking he'd have to decide about marriage soon. He said he just couldn't see it - how can you give up ever dating again? The other one agreed. I just stared. WHAT?? One of the biggest benefits of marriage is that you NEVER HAVE TO DATE AGAIN!!! (after being able to spend you life with the one you love, have kids, security...blah blah blah) I actually started laughing and told them this was the biggest difference between men and women. Men think dating is fun. Most women I know (I actually think, ALL women I know) disagree. Yes, new love, infatuation, etc is fun and exciting. But dating sucks. Trying to figure out another person and put yourself out there. Bye Bye. I pray I never have to do it again. One of my friends pointed out that if bachelor #1 still wanted to date - he was not ready for marriage.

8 comments:

Amy W said...

Two words - Dating Sucks.

Unknown said...

Wait a minute.... being married means you have to stop dating??!!? Nobody told me! Good thing my wife doesn't read this!

Sorry, Steph... couldn't resist the joke (and it is a joke!). Just remember, you chose to marry me! :)

Mrs. Booms said...

Too funny. I had a conversation last week with co-workers that dealt with marriage, but most of us had married twice and he was just getting ready to propose. I felt bad for him after he listened to us... but seriously...

I tell my husband all the time I'd hate to be still dating. Of course... you know... I never successfully dated anyone that wasn't one of my best buddies first. Go figure.

Unknown said...

There are times when I can see the thrill of meeting someone for the first time, sharing a special moment for the first time, having [censored] for the first time...I remember and grow nostalgic for them sometimes.

And then I remember that I found a woman whom I love for a million different reasons. Better yet, that *same* woman toler will tolerate my quirks, put up with my bull[censored], and even finds me somewhat amusing and lovable (we do not ask why; we are trying not to be stupid). I can't imagine trading that in.

Jules said...

I date my husband all the time. I would not want to date anyone else. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love your blog. He sure isn't ready to get married, if he still wants to date. I agree with you dating stinks.

Anonymous said...

I think mordermi is a kiss up! And I feel bad for whoever that Joshua is married too.

Unknown said...

I think mordermi is a kiss up!

To quote Mr. X, "By any means necessary..." :)

And I feel bad for whoever that Joshua is married too.

I think she did it to herself. Of course, she can always claim that she was drugged...that's what 3XMom does when questioning her decision to marry me. :-D

tommyspoon said...

Um, speaking as a soon-to-be divorced fellow who will be turning the big 4-0 in January allow me to state that I am NOT looking forward to dating again. Really. Not looking forward to it. At all.

Of course, most of my friends (male and female) have advised me that this is precisely what I should be doing.

Sigh...