Thursday, September 27, 2007

Yoga is NOT Stretching

Last night I took my first yoga class. (an aside -- those of you who only know me from this blog may be under the mistaken impression that I am athletic or fit or something. I assure you this could not be further from the truth! I am in the process of trying to lose about 50lbs on ww, and working to get into something other than couch potato shape. Seriously.) So anyway, I thought yoga would go well with the running and help me stretch out some muscles. I did not expect the degree of workout I got...and believe me, I didn't even do half the stuff!!

This yoga studio just opened up down the street from us over the weekend, and had classes that start at 8pm. I was so excited. I wanted to join Curves a while ago -- but all the ones in the DC area close at 8. Seriously, what is that about? My kids go to bed between 7:30 - 8 (at least we try), so I need something that starts at 8 or later -- yoga seemed perfect. The class was KILLER. I mean I liked it, I think. I will go back, but man was it HARD! You don't just stretch the muscle - you hold it there til it burns, then hold it another few minutes!!! I was sweating like a dog in under 10 minutes and then my hands and feet were all sweaty making it impossible to hold poses that I couldn't really hold to begin with. Definitely not what I expected. But good, I think. The last 10 minutes made it all worth it. We did this cool down and a inversion (which is basically where you try and get as many parts of your body in line above your head - without having to do a headstand, although that is an inversion too) that were awesome. It was very relaxing and really helped calm some lower back muscles that had been bothering me. Don't think I'll be a yogi anytime soon, but I will go back.

7 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by yoga...maybe I'll give it a shot!

Mrs. Booms said...

I love yoga and started with yoga for pregnancy when I was pregnant with my daughter. I hope you enjoy it.

Julie said...

Yay for you and yoga!!

Our Curves here sucks too - hours wise. It's not open during the middle of the day - huh?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try yoga....I've heard it can help de-stress your mind and body.

And, don't make light of what you're doing. Dropping weight is hard and takes a lot of determination and tough work. You're doing an awesome job at it :)

Nicole said...

The Curves near my house has the weirdest hours I've ever seen. Opens late, closes in the middle of the day and again fairly early at night, isn't open on Sundays or federal holidays ... I don't know how they stay in business.

Melanie said...

I've never tried yoga, it seems a little scary to me. I'm not all that flexible and it just looks so uncomfortable to me. Maybe one day I'll try it- but probably in the privacy of my own home!

Anonymous said...

try hot yoga